Thursday, June 19, 2008

Hey y'all!
The trip so far has been amazing. The people of the village welcomed us 100%. The initial arrival was very overwhelming; the whole village, meaning the woman and children (men were at work) was there to greet us. They sat us down and the children sang for us. Within ten minutes they assigned us to our families and we were off, we were dragged off in different directions by groups of little children, their petite hands clawing for our undivided attention. Our Senegalese families were all extremely welcoming, though each of us had a truly unique experience, including different levels of sand mixed in with the generic, yet flavorful lunch.

Language was a difficult problem to overcome. Some of us had the advantage of speaking French, while others relied on sign language, the results varied greatly. Overall their hospitality was a universal language, and something we all enjoyed.

If there was one word I could use to describe my family, it would be amiable. They were always smiling, laughing, and giving me their undivided attention. (Cory)

I would describe my family as being very relaxed. They were never always in my face as some people experienced. (Mia)

I loved having such a large family. I have 9 siblings and many aunts, uncles and cousins. Because I am an only child I love having so many people to talk to and interact with and I have become very close with many of the women in my family whether they speak French or not. (Allison)

We want to thank our families and teachers for this once in a lifetime opportunity. We are having a great time and we love you all.



Peace, and Much Love to you,
Allison, Cory and Mia <3 <3 <3 <3

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How exciting! Thank you for sharing...can't wait to hear all the details when you get back in 9 days (but who's counting :)!
The Marshalls

Luv to big sis from little bro!